Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A taste of home...at a bigger price!


So, I decided to show a few items that we found over here at LuLu and Gaent(hypermarkets) that we can buy in the US. You will see why I cringe when I do my expenses each month when you look at our grocery receipts-makes me almost not want to eat!! The first price is in BD(Bahrain Dinars) and the other is US dollars. I have found that some items are expensive while others are not. 

The beef in the stores is mostly from New Zealand-it’s different and some Australian beef. We did find, thanks to our American neighbors a place on the island that sells USDA beef!! They cater to the US base(where the neighbor works) so we called and ordered some beef.  Plus we were able to get a pork loin and pork chops!! I was supposed to order ground pork, well somehow, through my lack of communication skills, we received about 30 big pork sausages J  I am sure that my ordering(if we do it again) will be over!!

Most locals typically eat a lot of rice and vegetables, I can see why!! Speaking of rice…they have a whole aisle of ONLY rice(I will take a picture next time). It’s amazing how many kinds of rice is out there!!


Queso Dip                                           1.865     $5.08

Mushroom  soup(can)                        1.180     $3.21

Kraft shredded cheese                        2.250     $6.13

Green beans(can)                              .850        $2.32

Tostitos chips                                     2.445     $6.66

Coffee Mate                                      3.990     $10.86

Velvetta Mac Cheese                     3.380     $9.21

Jello Pudding                                     .65          $1.72

Spaghetti Sauce                                .950        $2.59

Pringles                                                .775        $2.06

Tide                                                       9.750     $26.56

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment