When I first started thinking of this opportunity in Bahrain I met alot of resistance. Being an American in a foreign country, female(that works) and with a small child. I thought long and hard and had many, many sleepless nights wondering if I could do this, if I should do this and what I might sacrifice. I knew the one thing that would hold me back was if Mac wanted me to stay. Being that she was a strong, MATURE, independent 18 year old, while I knew deep down she would miss us, she said she wanted me to go-she understood what I had in front of me. God certainly blessed me with MacKenzie! :)
So I came to Bahrain in June for a week, checked out the island, schools(5 to be exact), the track, stores, etc. The first day I was here, I went back to my hotel room and cried and said, nope I want to go home, can't do this. We got lost and ended up in an area that was very very poor and was an eye opener to me that people actually lived this way. Day two on, was much better!
From the day that I decided this might be happening, I did what most do...go to the Internet. BAD IDEA! You can find anything on the Internet about anything, good or bad, truth or lies. So yes, everyone knows Bahrain had/still does demonstrations/protests, etc. and yes, what you see on the NBC nightly news of other countries people fighting is what I saw on the Internet as well. But truly I have not once felt threatened or unsafe when I have been out by myself. We obviously don't go to the villages where these demonstration's are at and aren't out and about at night. The ONLY time I have personally seen anything was a trip to Manama and we were on the main road and could see black smoke...which is an indication that there are tyres burning. Its at the roundabout where most of this stuff happens.
Where we live and go is normal everyday life. I still have my guard up and know my surroundings but that's just because of who I am.
So my point to this is, yes there are protests here but don't believe everything you read!! I do get alot of stares but I have been told its not because of you being an American its because they are looking at your legs...LOL.
Seriously, I do think that is true. When we go to the mall or wherever I don't wear short shorts, tank tops, etc. There are many many expats here(American and British) so we blend in with everyone.
Two local Bahrain guys that work at the track(one actually graduated from the University of Alabama) chat with me everyday and we always talk about culture,etc, they both have said Bahrain is probably safer than most large cities in the US. They said all the protests aren't against you they are against the cars with the blue lights(their own words). So basically the government. No one has held it against me because I am an American :)
So while I know my family back home worries that we are safe...YES WE ARE! I would never put Ireland or myself in a situation that wasn't!... If at ANY time we felt this wasn't safe any longer, we will be back on a plane home!
So to my entire family back home, please find peace that I have made the right decision and we are GOOD here! I am positive if we aren't Ireland will tell you!!
Love to all and especially Mac--we miss and love you dearly!!
No comments:
Post a Comment