So when we went to HOU to get the uniforms she had her choie of a blue polo and blue button down; blue dress, blue shorts or skirt; mix and match. Well the skort was tight and made for babies I think. Clothing sizes are sure different over here. The shorts are like capris so we decided to let her choose(comfort). She said I want to wear the dress--PERFECT! So we got 4 dresses, 5 polos and 1 pair of shorts; swimsuit or should I say scuba suit, still have to get the hat and we got low cut socks.
Next up was finding shoes...i never saw one pair of Nike's. We went to Reebok, Puma, Adidas, 2 shoe stores and nothing...finally found Foot locker and we scored a pair of PLAIN WHITE SKEECHERS!! She looks darling in her outfit I must say!
Her teacher is really nice. She lives here in Bahrain and is British. There are 11 kids in the class(4 girls) and according to Ireland, the boys don't listen and never pay attention. The teacher said Ireland is getting along very well the only small issue is she somewhat likes to keep things to herself and not share. I wasn't shocked but was suprised because at Jill's they have to share. I asked her about it and she said well I'm not supposed to share my food...I said I don't think she was talking about food! Ireland refers to them all as little kids but I reminded her they are your age-just aren't as tall :)
The cut-off date in Bahrain is 1-Sept so Ireland is the oldest(and tallest) in the class but I think its fine, nothing we can do as their is no option like the US. Her classmates I guess were told about the 'new girl' the first week and when she got their last Sunday she was a hit(so I have heard)...! She must of been because a few of the parents said oh your Ireland's mom, we have heard all about her!!
We have badges at the school that we have to have with us. I may of stated this before but its just like the 'old' days when parents were allowed to walk their child to class and pick them up at the door! I watch threw the door window everyday and they all are sitting in a circle and the teacher is reading them a book. Once the bells rings the teacher opens the door and calls the kids to the door when she sees mom/dad/nanny. Ireland likes for me to bring her in and leave :( She wants to put her own stuff away and I can no longer carry anything either! She is big stuff!!
The school has a lunchroom but unlike the US they have an outside company that 'caters' it. So the place is called 'Sage and Sirloin' and I guess the best place to buy fresh meat on the island. They put a daily menu out and you can buy the lunches-like the US you have a card. We have been packing her lunch but going to start letting her choose what she likes off the menu. I think when we looked it was like BD2 which in American dollars is equal to 5.30(per lunch)!!! I sure hope it is good food :)
She said her favorite class is Arabic...which the kids are divided up and the ones that don't speak it are in one class and the others in another. Its everyday and we could tell that she is paying attention as she will sing or talk fast and no idea what she is saying...I think because she hears them talk in Arabic. Either way, I think it is really interesting and whether she ever uses it, I think its great for a child her age to start to learn another language!
Here in Bahrain, there is no 'yellow school bus'! They are plain white small vans and operated by an independent company. I am truly blessed that I am able to take Ireland everyday and pick her up.
I think we did well with the school. Its close to our worksite, secure, friendly, new, well known and respected throughout Bahrain. I clock it almost daily and from the school parking lot to the jobsite is about 13 minutes give or take. From our driveway to the schools parking lot is probably about 3 or so blocks!!
No comments:
Post a Comment